The Hunger Games – Dystopian Literature

Assignment due date: Friday, April 6.

I know several of you saw the movie The Hunger Games over Spring Break, as did I. (Not to mention those of you who saw it at the midnight premier!) Did you know that The Hunger Games is considered Dystopian Literature??  Check out this link: http://delicious.com/stacks/view/GA0E3y

After reading several of the comments/reports on the link, write a comment, expressing your reaction to the fact that The Hunger Games is Dystopian. Also, answer this question: In your opinion, why has Dystopian Literature risen in popularity lately?  Each answer should be a short paragraph in length.

35 Responses to “The Hunger Games – Dystopian Literature”

1. My reaction is that this book has become the most popular Dystopian novel ever. It has many common dystopian themes, such as a strong heroine and a post-apocalyptic setting. This is my reaction to the fact that the book is Dystopian.
    Dystopian Literature has risen in popularity lately, because it kind of shows a sign of troubled times. It combines themes in the modern world that are happening or that is going to happen. Those themes are cruel government and violent, restrictive worlds with a few twists-badass heroines and romance that make it so popular.

2. I agree that The Hunger Games is dystopian literature because the world is far from a perfect utopian world since in The Hunger Games there is poverty, fighting, and death. Also, in a perfect world, the government wouldn’t force teenagers to fight to the death. Those are some reasons why The Hunger Games are dystopian literature.
    Secondly, dystopian literature is currently at its highest popularity since the 1960′s during the Cold War. There are multiple reasons for this. The first is that in this age young adults seem to favor violence over peaceful conflicts. Also, in real life, we live in an imperfect world, so we tend to prefer stories that are about imperfect places and people than a perfect society, which shows us we still have much to improve on. These are two reasons why dystopian literature is on the rise.

3. I love the Hunger Games. It is the perfect book for young teens and adults and it also captures the reader into a dystopian world. It has many dystopian themes such as poverty and poor settings. People now commonly enjoy dystopian literature because most people these days prefer war like stories and movies opposed to peaceful ones. Dystopian literature tends to make us connect with our imperfect world and want to read stories containing an imperfect world such as our own. These are two reasons that this morbid dystopian literature is on the rise to becoming such a good literature choice.

4. My reaction to the dystopia in the Hunger Games was that it looks alot like some of the things we see today. There are millions of children and adults in this world who are starving and who are struggling to survive through each day, just like the characters in the Hunger Games. I also thought about what would happen to this country if people did these things to their kids. I mean, just think about it, could you live with yourself if you knew that one day your child could be taken from you to fight for their life when they are barely able to live at all from their lack of food?

I believe dystopian literature has risen in popularity because that looks to be the way our economy is heading. Our money means very little. More people are going without food because it costs too much to buy any. The amount of food actually grown in the country itself probaly isnt enough to feed half the population. How long is it before the system of government in the U.S. fails?

5. My reaction to The Hunger Games being a dystopian because the story if far from a perfect society. For example they did not get much of anything to survive on even though there spend many long hours in mines, or planting crops, etc. Another reason The Hunger Games is a dystopian story is because of starvation because since they were not getting much money from there jobs they could not afford food and other existentials to live. The last reason The Hunger Games is a dystopian story is because they had death. for example they hosted The Hunger Games each year where they sent 24 teenagers into a arena to kill each other. these are the reasons that The Hunger Games is a dysopian story.

The reason that dystopian literature is popular lately is because there is so many bad things happening in lately. For example there are people starving, people in poverty, and people dieing in war and terrorism. These are the reasons that dystopian literature is popular lately.

6. My reaction to The Hunger Games being a dystopian literature was intreauged.. It was the first book I read of it’s kind, and it pulls you in. It’s different. I think thats why it attracts so many young readers. It is something that is very well possible, yet we haven’t ever experieced. Making us all interested in what it would be like..

In the Hunger Games the way the government controls everything, and everything has to be done their way makes you wonder how before the time of Katniss and Peeta and all the other winners of the games was like. What made their government gain so much power, and why the people of their society let it become like that? This is why I believe dystopian literature has become so popular lately.. Who knows what could happen even in our near future?

7. This book is just like the imperfect world we live in. We have people starving and people who don’t even have homes. People want to choose violence over the peaceful things. we have so much poverty, war, and death, just like this book. I think this book is good for teenagers and adults. This is just a dystopian literature. Imperfect world, examples are poverty, fighting, and death.

8. My reaction to this book is that it is actually showing us, as teenagers, that life can be a lot of risks and we have to take them as opportunities to learn something new. Even though this book shows us that through death.

I think that dystopian literature is getting popular because we can comprehend a life-like society, rather than a perfect one. Even though what they are showing us is harsh, we are used to it mentally, just by how our government is today.

9. One reason that the Hunger Games is Dystopian literature is because the people in the book live in a poverty stricken society controlled by a opressing government. Another reason that the Hunger Games is Dystopian literature is the hunger games where the government gathers 24 random teens and makes them fight to the death until one is left. These are the reasons that I think the hunger games is dystopian literature.

I think dystopian literature is so popular today is because we are in the year 2012 and people are thinking the world might end so they are reading more and more about how a world is after a major catastrophie.

10. I am not surprised that the Hunger Games is dystopian literature. It’s the first book I’ve read that’s anything like it and it really hooks you in to where you don’t want to put it down. It’s showing what the world could very well look like in the very near future.
    I think that dystopian literature has become more popular in the world today because in these times we are realizing the harshness of the world and having the courage to write about it in a way that really opens people’s eyes.

11. My reaction to the fact that The Hunger Games is dystopian literature was not really suprising. The Hunger Games is about 13 districts fighting for food, while the people at the capital have all the food in the world.

I think dystopian literature is becoming popular is because many stories they have the poor people, and then the rich people who control what happens. Then the stories tell the poorest person rising up and defeating the people in control and helping the community of the poor.

12. My reaction to The Hunger Games being a dystopian is because the world is far from a perfect utopian world since in The Hunger Games there is poverty, war, and death. This book reminds me of the imperfect world we live in. We have people starving and people who don’t even have homes and people want to choose violence and disruption.

Dystopian Literature has risen in popularity lately, because it shows a lot of sign of troubled times in reality. Like in the Hunger Games the way the government controls everything.
    Who knows what could happen even in our near future? You never know.

13. I know that the Hunger Games is Dystopian literature because it has many things in it that are very wrong and bad, such as fighting and death. Also, there most certainly wouldn’t be a government that forces kids and teenagers to fight until death.

Dystopian literature has been more popular than its ever been for a while. This is because people have developed a interest in action, violence, and death. Secondly, the world is a dystopian place, therefor people like to see other dystopian places and people rather than perfect. This is why Dystopian literature is only rising.

14. Ater watching the trailer of The Hunger Games, I quickly realized it was Distopian Literature. This triology is a great example of distopian literature because it shows that the world they live in is very imperfect. Our world today can relate to this book because our world is also very imperfect. Today there are people starving and struggling to survive.

I believe that Distopian Literature is becoming very popular because our country is coming to it. Our economy is getting bad and every day we see poverty, starvation, and death. I think this movie shows us what our economy could become in the future. This is why i think distopian literature is becoming very popular.

15. I believe that this book is in a dystopian world, because the world is for sure not perfect by any means. I think that the fact that the book is dystopian is good, because if it wasn’t then the book would not have been as successful.

I think this book has been one of the most popular dystopian books of the year. I think dystopian books have become popular lately because it is something different from what everyone is used to reading, about perfect societies. In a dystopian book it is not perfect and things are not the way everyone is used to reading about.

16. This book is just like the imperfect world we live in. We have people starving and people who don’t even have homes. People want to choose violence over the peaceful things. We live in a world with so much poverty, war, violence, and riots that we are corrupt, like the book and movie. It is very ditopian because the districts have to fight each year, if this were the case in real life (states sending people to fight) our Nation would never be the same. We would be in a terrible country!

17. One reason that The Hunger Games is distopian literature is because their society is not perfect. They are stricken with poverty, and are given very little food. Also, there is 24 teens choosen to fight till their death,

I think Distopian Literature is becoming popular because the world is not perfect. In every country their are people starving, homeless, and poor. Also, as in The Hunger Games we are controlled by the goverment.This is why I think Distopian Literature is becoming popular.

18. I read The Hunger Games so the fact that it is Dystopian literature doesn’t surprise me at all. The government is very broken and divided. Many are living in poverty and getting sick with no way to be helped. Our world is very imperfect but not in comparison to this book. Today many people are starving and struggling but there is not a fight with the Government and struggle there.

I think Dystopian literature is becoming more popular because people are realizing our world is getting more and more like this. They believe they should write about it to open peoples eyes so that they realize what it is coming to.

19. I wasn’t very shocked when I found out that The Hunger Games was dystopian literature. Dystopian means imperfect society. In The Hunger Games twenty-four people had to battle and only one could be the winner. There were people starving, injured, and killed. Things like that going on in a society will make it a dystopian or imperfect society.

I think that dystipian literature has risen in popularity because our country could easily become dystopian or imperfect. We have so many people in our society who are starving and homeless and so many deaths are happening today. I think books and movies like The Hunger Games are a good reflection on what our society could be and people are realizing this so they are intrested on what our society could very easily be. That is why I think dystopian literature has risen in popularity.

20. My reaction to learning that The Hunger Games was Distopian literature wasn’t very suprised. The life of the people in the book is very hard to do. They are poor and starving. It is very far from a perfect or dream society. Also, in a perfect society people wouldn’t have to starve of fight to death in games held by the government.

In my opinion, I believe that Distopian literature has become more popular because people can relate and understand it more. They can relate to how the characters in Distopian literature are feeling and get an idea of what they are going through. Also, people in our economy usually need ideas in how to save money and other resources and in Distopian literature people are in the same situation and we can learn from the characters.

21. I agree that The Hunger Games is Dystopian Literature. They are making teenagers play in a game that you have to kill or be killed. Fighting and killing people is not perfect. This is why I think the Hunger Games is Dystopian Literature.

This is why I think Dystopian Literature is growing in popularity. Today we want stuff that we can say “I’m glad I’m not in that country or socitey.” This makes us feel better about ourselfs. Also, there is always that one person the protagonaist. That we look to and want to be. We think that person if so cool. She going to win and probably help kids come together to change the government. This why I think it is popular.

22. Although I didn’t read the book, I did watch the movie over spring break. Their world is so far from perfect. They barely have any food, they live in poverty, and two teens, or even a child, is chosen to fight for their life! The whole storyline is just astonishing.

I think distopian literature is becoming popular because it is something our world in some people’s eyes could one day come to. The way that they live awes us and makes us intrested in them.

23. The hunger games is Dystopian Literature because their world is far from imperfect. They live poorly and they have two people chosen to go and fight for their lives.

Dystopian Literature is growing in popularity because they way these people live and the things they have to do fascinate us. Oneday our world could be this way which even draws us more into Dystopian Literature.

24. The hunger games is Dystopain Literature because they make teenagers fight to the death for there intertainment. There also starving and very poor. This is far from perfect to me.

I think that Dystopian Literature is growing popular because its a world that we don’t want to live in and, some people understand how it is to be starving or poor. This is why I think Dystopain Leterature is popular.

25. The Hunger Games is dystopian literature. In what I read was it tells Americans of 2012 how badly people treat children. the over powering government and the oppresion it caused. Human fights over food and shelter because of the government. You don’t have a say in anything. You don’t have a fair life. I would not want to live there.

The reason I think dystopian literature is growing so fast is that people are trying to give a clue on how we are acting or going to act in the future. The government is getting more and more powerful ,and we won’t have a say in anything. Maybe we will end up fighting to have food. We don’t need the government to be too powerful. Stand up for what is right!

26. I read all the Hunger Games books so I am not surprised that it is considered dystopian literature. It is very far from being a perfect world. In a perfect world the Capitol wouldn’t force children/teenagers to fight each other. People are starving and living in poverty, which isn’t perfect. That is why I’m not at all surprised this is dystopian.

I think dystopian literature is growing fast because we don’t live in a perfect world. Why would people want to read about a world that they can’t connect to? Also, today people perfer violence (imperfection) over peace and happiness (perfection). This is why I think dystopian literature is growing so quickly.

27. The Hunger Games is Dystopian Literature because it is not based off of a perfect world. Children aren’t forced to fight each other to death, and there are many people who are dying from starvation which is no where near perfect. There are always many people living in poverty.

I think Dystopian Literature is growing faster because no one lives in a perfect world or has a perfect life. People want to watch and read about things they can connect to and contribute to their own everyday life. This is why Dystopian Literature is growing faster in our society today.

28. I’ve never read any of them , but I know a little about the books because I have tried reading them. This book creates much less than the perfect world. The people in these books are living in poverty and there’s nothing perfect about that. They treat children horribly. The people are very poor.

Dystopian literature is growing fast , in my opinion, because the world we live in is not perfect. Some of us are very poor and starving. Adults do treat some children horribly. Also , I think the author can connect to what she is writing about. She understands and can write a vivid story about what’s going on in her imagination.

29. It is dynostian literature because it is not set in a perfect world. It is rising fast because in my opinion life is not perfect. Some of us are very poor and starving. People can relate to how people are in these books.

30. Dystopian Literature is supposed to be far from perfect. The best example of dystopian literature is the world we live in today. When you go to a poor country you see people that are living like in the hunger games.Their living in poverty & starvation

I think dystopian literature is growing popular is because we don’t live in a perfect world that some people say we do.people prefer violence and war over peace and happiness. Why would read about a world that you can’t connect to?. That’s why i think dystopian literatureis growing popular.

31. I haven’t read the books. I’m one of those people who would rather wait for the movie to come out, but you can tell that it is Dystopian because killing people at random would never happen in a Utopian Society.

Dystopian to me is growing fast because it gives anybody who reads, something they can relate to because nothing in our society is perfect. It gives life situations that we might come to and want somebody’s opinion.

32. The Hunger Games is a series I haven’t read, but I know that the scenarios in the novels project a Dystopian “nightmare” image. People randomly kill people, there is poverty, starvation, and fighting, so this tells me it isn’t a Utopia.

Dystopian literature is growing fast because teens like to read things where there is a small group against a bigger thing that should have defeated the smaller group, to me, that is.

33. I have only read one of the books (which was the first one) but from what I’ve read, it would seem more like a Dystopian Society. There’s killing and starvation and poverty and that would definitely not represent a Utopian Society.

Dystopian literature is growing fast because teens and some adults and- almost everybody these days like to read books that have more problems and have a better conflict. I think that we just find it more…interesting.

34. I am not really suprised that The Hunger Games is dystopian literature, because it is a society that makes kids and teens fight to the death and think that it is fun to watch. It struck me the first time I saw it that it was dystopian literature.

I think dystopian literature is becoming more popular because we are starting to see some things that are related to dystopian literature. Some examples include- starvation, murders, fights, and the list goes on.

35. The Hunger Games is dystopian literature because they barely have food and live poorly. They also, choose two people to fight for their lives.

I think dystopian literature is growing popular because we are seeing somethings and this could happen in our world today.